Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ahhh, the Sweetness of September

I know we haven't blogged in a while, but I was waiting until today for this very post. September is my favorite sports month of the year and I am pumped. Go ahead call me a boy, I know my wife will, haha. But seriously, what could be better than baseball pennant chases and the beginning of the College Football season. Oh yeah, NFL starts too which is a lot more entertaining than it used to be, mainly because the Falcons are relevant again and a contender to make the playoffs again. It's no secret I love Braves baseball and UGA football. I don't deny it nor try to get around it. It's just engrained in who I am.

Let's start with the Braves. They have been the epitome of inconsistency this season, but now find themselves only 3 games out of the Wild Card hunt and a solid chance at making the postseason for the first time since 2005. Those of you who have been long time Braves fans remember the days where we just expected the Braves to make the playoffs and contend for a World Series. Yes, I wish we would have won more than 1, but what can you do. The Braves have a bright future with a lot of young talent coming in so hopefully we'll see this time put together a long stretch of playoff runs and a couple championships throughout the next decade or two. Go Braves!

I will always be a Dawg and will bleed red and black, as will my kids, and their kids and their kids, just as my Dad before me. A lot people don't understand. UGA has the toughest schedule in all of college football this season including quite possibly their toughest season opener in years against #9 Oklahoma State. Georgia starts the preseason at #13, although I think preseason rankings are stupid. We lost our starting QB and RB to the first round of the NFL draft, but make no mistake, this team is loaded with talent. Unfortunately, our arch rival and defending champs of whose name I won't mention, are loaded even more and are the unanimous favorites it seems to win it all this year, and honestly, they should be. A lot of people consider this a rebuilding year, but elite programs like UGA don't rebuild, they reload and I expect at least a 9 win season this year against a touch schedule and a good bowl game. I think it's unreasonable to think we'll win the SEC East and get to Atlanta for the SEC Championship, but a win against UF could do that however difficult it may be. Either way, I cannot wait for this Saturday's game and for the rest of the season.

Last year the Falcons led by rookie QB sensation Matt Ryan made the playoffs, but lost to eventual NFC Champs the Arizona Cardinals. This year, they have added the greatest Tight End of all time in Tony Gonzalez and are expecting big things as well they should be. The schedule is much tougher this year, but I like their chances to win the division and contend for a spot in the Super Bowl. This organization is well run by owner Arthur Blank, GM Thomas Dimitroff and Head Coach Mike Smith. The defense is the glaring weak spot right now. The offense will score points in bunches, but the defense will need to step it up and maybe even add some pieces if the Falcons are to make any noise this season. One thing is for sure, the Dirty Birds are practically guaranteed to have back to back winning seasons for the first time in team history, which is one of the saddest things I've ever heard, the fact they've never done it before. The most interesting game this season by far is the game against Philadelphia in Atlanta when Michael Vick makes his return to Atlanta. Talk about excitement.

Well, in all likelihood my wife won't be over-approving of my decision to fill our family blog with sports talk, but a man has to do what a man has to do, or something like that. I love her so much and I appreciate the fact she allows me to watch sports, probably a lot more than I should, and that she doesn't think any less of me. It doesn't rule my life and I don't allow a win or a loss by these teams to determine my attitude or demeanor, although there were times when that wasn't true.

I'll leave you all with this. We've been doing Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and are well on our way to being debt free. Obviously it will still take us several more years to pay off our student loans of course, but it was worth it for two top notch Berry College educations. Well, actually three since Brittany will have a Masters as well. I can't wait until the day we get a letter saying we no longer have a financial obligation to Berry. There will be some crazy celebration going on that day for sure. God bless and please leave us some comments and let us know what you think of our blog. Any things you want to read from us.

C&B
Hayes Party of Two

1 comment:

  1. Haha, can't think of anything specific for you to write about, but Mr. Hayes... you're gonna' hafta balance out the sports talk with something. :)

    Maybe write a haiku!

    ReplyDelete