Friday, September 4, 2009

Grumblings and Observations

So, here are some recent observations I've made that I feel the need to comment on. Let's start in the pop culture realm. I find it really sad that the two biggest influences on children/teenagers via movies and books right now include a series about vampires and one about magic. Now, for those of you who really enjoy Harry Potter and Twilight, I'm not condemning anyone or saying that it is completely wrong to watch them or to let your children read/watch them, that's not my point. I just think that there should be some better content out there. I remember growing up and watching shows like Saved By the Bell, Family Matters, Full House, all shows that have some good moral lessons and a sense of family that is important. Sure there are some cheesy moments, but it is at least clean and wholesome. I grew up watching tons of Disney movies and things like that as well. Now, there just seems to be so much garbage in movies and TV that it is playing a huge role in shaping the minds of our country's young people. Don't even get me started with the internet and cell phones, haha.

I am also not the type of person to spend too much time discussing politics, but I find it really concerning that our country is in one of the worst states it has ever been, and our new president is about to head on his second vacation. I'm all for family fun, but I just have to think that there is a lot of work that could be done right now, or at least our leader should be giving off the impression that he is working tirelessly to come up with solutions and get this country back on its feet. Not to mention all the time he has spent on Sportscenter and talking about sports or at ballgames. Again, I know that is a hard position, but in my opinion, it just seems that he has spent so much time marketing himself and getting on TV, that in the meantime, our country continues to dive more and more into the ground and a lot of people are really hurting because of it. I thank God every day that my wife and I have jobs, a roof over a head, and food to eat. God has truly blessed us, although we are in no way "rich". I work with clients every day that really want to work, but are really struggling to find it and it breaks my heart. I know God is in control and that allows me to have hope, but at the same time it is scary to think where will be in 3 or 4 years. Well, I hope the President has a nice vacation.

Lastly, I am proud to say I am part of a church that "gets it". I feel like the church in North America has become so consumed with consuming. What I mean by that, is I see a lot of Wal-mart in today's church. Do you know what I mean? People show up on Sunday morning and the fill up on things for the next week and pick and choose what to receive. Not only that, but so many churches seem to use all of their efforts and resources to try and fill more seats, or build more buildings, start more programs that are designed for the people inside. However, what is being done down the street in the community? What kind of impact are they having globally? Why do people feel that the church is there for them? It's not, the church is meant to look like Jesus, act like Jesus, point others to Jesus, take Jesus to others and so on. I'm not saying Sunday School or Bible Study isn't important, not at all. Jesus didn't make the Great Commission optional, or just for those who feel "called" to do it. It doesn't work that way. Everyone saved by the grace of Jesus Christ is called to impact the world locally and globally. Not everyone has to spend a week in Africa, but should be investing, praying, sending, going if they can. Or just realize that missions can mean working in your community. Again, I'm not perfect and don't have it all figured out and this paragraph is just as much for me as anyone. Until we realize that all Christians are on the same team, division and lack of sharing the good news will continue. We tell others to live like Jesus, but I don't remember Jesus ever spending all his time inside the doors of church filling up on things. No, He lived out among the lost. Jesus spent time with murderers, adulterers, thieves......sinners. If that's the case, why aren't we spending time with sinners. Hear me, it is not the Pastor's job to preach the gospel, it is the responsibility and should be the joy of every believer. I fail in this every day, but I long so much for my life to be an imitation of our King Jesus. It does no good to invite someone to church and have them listen to the Pastor if you aren't willing to invest in their life and to live Jesus out in their life. I'll leave you all with one of my favorite quotes: "Preach the gospel every day, and when necessary, use words."

C&B
Hayes Party of Two

No comments:

Post a Comment